You might ride because you love the freedom, the exhilaration, the fuel efficiency, the ease of parking or a huge range of other benefits that go with motorcycling. Your goal is always to keep the shiny side up, but sometimes the unexpected happens. If you got hurt in a wreck, you should talk to an attorney. Here’s what you need to know about choosing an motorcycle accident lawyer near Shreveport, LA.
Motorcycle Accidents Near Shreveport, LA
If you have ever ridden a motorcycle in your life, your ears probably tune in every time there’s a news report about a motorcyclist involved in an accident. Unfortunately, it happens regularly in the Shreveport area, just like it does across the nation because when drivers share the road, inevitably someone makes a mistake. For example, these accidents occurred in the past 12 months.
- In September, a motorcyclist was traveling northbound on the 6700 block of Southern Avenue. The rider crashed into a vehicle making a left turn, was ejected from his bike and suffered life-threatening injuries.
- In August, Shreveport Police patrol officers arrived at a major crash near Spring Street, where a Kawasaki rider hit a concrete traffic barrier, lost control and was ejected from his motorcycle.
- In March a 52-year-old man was sitting on his bike on the shoulder of I-20 when he and his motorcycle were struck by a passing vehicle and killed.
When crashes involve a vehicle driver and a motorcyclist, the person in the passenger vehicle is more likely to be violating traffic laws than the motorcyclist. Drivers have a hard time evaluating the rate of travel and distance between themselves and an oncoming biker. They get distracted, follow too closely and fail to check blind spots.
You Need an Experienced Shreveport Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Just because someone graduated from law school doesn’t make them qualified to represent you if you were in a bike wreck. Sometimes people get recommendations from friends and family members who liked the firm that helped create their will or represented them in their divorce proceedings. While those individuals may have been proficient in those situation, but personal injury cases present unique challenges.
It’s best to find a Shreveport motorcycle accident lawyer who specializes in representing clients who have been in your shoes. They can help you track current expenses and anticipate future ones, including intangibles like pain and suffering. Then they’ll help you negotiate with insurance until you reach an agreement that’s fair to you. If that’s not possible, an experienced motorcycle wreck attorney can help you file a lawsuit or explore other options.
Communication Styles Matter
Experience is critical, but so is a motorcycle accident lawyer’s ability to communicate in a way you’re comfortable with. If you have a free consultation and the attorney you’re considering seems busy, impatient, evasive or difficult to understand, listen to your gut. Talk to other lawyers until you find someone who is a good fit.
The Right Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Gives You Peace of Mind
If you were hurt in a bike wreck, you’ve been through a lot. When you find a team that will be a good fit, they’ll take care of all your legal concerns so you can focus on healing and getting your life back. Our attorneys handle the following:
- Helping you evaluate what your motorcycle accident case might be worth
- Gathering medical records and expenses
- Requesting a police report and helping you understand it
- Documenting lost wages and follow up costs
- Investigating your accident
- Interviewing witnesses
- Locating medical experts or other professionals to provide documentation or act as witnesses when needed
- Preparing legal documents and pleadings
- Negotiating with insurance companies and advising you on settlement offers
- Presenting your case in court if your claim goes to trial
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, your future well-being might depend on the next steps you take. Find out how we can advocate for maximum compensation when you contact us today.